Friday, March 16, 2012

Disclaimer

Okay, first things first. I dislike the blog format as a medium. I feel that it encourages an overly conversational format, which leads to lots of talk with a lack of structure or real content. This is something that I am particularly susceptible to, so for me to engage in writing a Blog focused on general pontification on music and society is probably going to result in a lot of blah blah blah. Daily writing is good for the mind, however I don't neccessarily think that the type of writing I do in a journal for my own personal reflection and consumption is fit for public dissemination. Ah well...

I have written a fair bit so far in terms of my general ideas and impressions about Zappa and his work, however I have hesitated to publish any of it because it feels way too unfinished. I like to be careful about what I say publicly, and when I do make public statements they are usually built to purpose with a specific goal or idea that they are trying to communicate. I usually try to refine what I say down to the essential components, in the same vein as a soundbite or newspaper headline. I try to make small compact chunks which can reduplicate and disseminate quickly to a wider populous, my motivation being to communicate as effectively and efficiently as possible.

By contrast, I feel that the blog medium lends itself to verbosity and a very conversational style... talking for the sake of talking and filling up the page. Or just publishing personal reflection without any refinement. There seems to be a lack of the typical filter or quality control that is present in traditional publishing. However this is based more on presumption than experience... so perhaps I am completely wrong.

All this said, I am going to give it a shot because this is after all a course requirement. I will make a conscious effort to try and dive into a more stream of consciousness, "whatever pops into my head" type of writing. Maybe I will find that I enjoy this style? We shall see.

The next post will be a summary of the mess of notes I have accumulated thus far, but have neglected publishing due to my own shyness or self-consciousness over their lack of polish and focus... the third post will be my first post in the style I am commiting myself to now. Editing will be minimal... I'm just going to go for content, to get something up here already.

-Z-

No comments:

Post a Comment